Abahlali baseMjondolo of the Western Cape Press Release
Friday 22 May 2009
The Macassar Village land occupation continues…
Tonight we spend our fourth night on this land. It is cold and rainy tonight but we will stand where we sleep! We will rebuild once again! We will not leave this land. This is our land, not because we are greedy, but because everyone needs some land and housing to provide a permanent home for their families. Backyards are not permanent nor adequate. They are oppressive.
If they arrest us again, beat us again, demolish our shacks again and steal our building materials again, we will return to the land and we will rebuild – again!
For updates on the Macassar Village occupation of unused land – our struggle to build community and democratise this city from below, call 073 2562 036
Qina Mhlali, Qina!
Previous press releases on this issue:
- 21 May, 2009 – The City Reversed the Decision by the Ward Counsellor at Macassar Village
- 20 May, 2009 – Macassar people won their victory on land occupation
- 19 May, 2009 – Siyanda. Mpola. Macassar Village – The war on the poor continues
- 18 May, 2009 – AbM Western Cape: Macassar residents occupying empty land as we speak
- 14 May, 2009 – AbM-WC Press release – tomorrow raining or not we continue with our protest
- 13 May, 2009 – Second day of the cleaning campaign: The 14th May 2009
- 12 May, 2009 – Abahlali Protest for the 13th of May at 10:00 am at Macassar Village
- Photos: Picture of Cleaning up campaign on ABM WC at Macassar Village