Media: ANC denies knowledge of proposed march

22 02 2010

22 February 2010 – EWN

De Doorns police said on Monday they had not received any requests from the ANC in the region to stage a protest march.

It is understood the party was planning a march to a safety site for foreigners in the town.
Hundreds of immigrants have been living at the site since late last year after they were displaced during xenophobic violence.

The ANC denied planning a march.

Farm workers union Sikhula Sonke said it learnt ANC members in the area wanted to march to the safety site.

The union claimed a member of the party was making inflammatory comments about foreigners in the area.

It is feared the march could spark xenophobic tensions.

Sonke alleged one of its officials was threatened recently by a group of youths, who were angry about the union’s activities in the nearby Stofland informal settlement and its efforts to help reintegrate immigrants into the community.

The local municipality said they had not received any requests from the ruling party to hold a march. It added the request would have to have been submitted a week ago.

About these ads

Actions

Information




Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 719 other followers

%d bloggers like this: