Media: Sexwale comment blasted

3 10 2011

A housing-rights organisation has asked Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale to withdraw comments about the possibility of a “cut-off date” for free housing.

ANNA MAJAVU | 03 October, 2011 01:16 – Times Live

The Abahlali baseMjondolo (Those Who Live in Shacks) organisation, which fights for the rights of shack dwellers, said Sexwale’s statement last week was a recipe for “uncontrolled protests”.

Sexwale told an international conference in Cape Town that the government was discussing an end to free housing.

“There has got to be a cut-off date. We are discussing that. You can’t cut off the poor right now, particularly in the current national economic environment. But we can’t sustain what we are doing for a long time,” Sexwale said.

Abahlali baseMjondolo’s Western Cape chairman, Mzonke Poni, who yesterday completed a three-day fast in protest against South Africa’s housing shortage, said the government should have held public hearings before discussing an end to free housing.

“If they open this for public comment the government will see it has no support at all,” said Poni. Read the rest of this entry »





Shack dwellers ‘mourn’ freedom

28 04 2011
Apr 27, 2011 9:55 PM | By PHILANI NOMBEMBE – The Times
Hundreds of protesting Cape Town shack dwellers yesterday threatened to boycott next month’ s local government elections.

Thandiswa Gabula, of QQ section, an informal settlement in Khayelitsha, on the Cape Flats, was one of the people protesting against lack of services, including basic sanitation, while participating in a shack-fire meeting organised by the Abahlali baseMjondolo (shack dwellers’) movement.

Gabula, 45, a mother of four, said she felt excluded from South Africa and that Freedom Day meant nothing to her because her community did not have toilets, running water or electricity. Read the rest of this entry »





Do not vote, shack dwellers told

28 04 2011

April 28 2011 at 10:09am – Cape Times


ct Shack fire summit8942DARK DAYS: Mzonke Poni consoles Nolusindiso Ketani, whose child now suffers a disability after injuries sustained in a shack fire in 2005, at the Shack Fire Summit in Khayelitsha. Community members demanded that the city supply their shacks with electricity to prevent fires. Picture: David Ritchie Read the rest of this entry »




Our sadness on UnFreedom Day

27 04 2011

Western Cape Anti-Eviction Campaign
27 April 2011
 
For the poor in South Africa, there is no freedom.
 
Today from 10am till 2pm, the movements will come to QQ Section Informal Settlement for an UnFreedom Day rally.  QQ was the victim of a huge shack fire just before Christmas in 2010 so the location is fitting for our Shack Fire Summit. Read the rest of this entry »





Invitation to the Cape Town Shack Fire Summit

26 04 2011

ABAHLALI BASEMJONDOLO MOVEMENT OF SOUTH AFRICA (WESTERN CAPE PROVINCE)
Website: khayelitshastruggles.com or http://www.abahlali.org
Email: abmwesterncape@abahlali.org office admin: 0732562036/073 4128 218

The above mentioned organization would like to invite your organization/ community/ area to a SHACK FIRE SUMMIT that will be held at QQ informal settlement site B Khayelitsha on 27 April 2011 from 10:00am to 13:00pm.

The aim of the event is to:

1. Light candles in memory of those who lose their lives within shack fire and the victims of shack fires.
2. Explore the course of shack fire, governmental intervention, and other humanitarian intervention
3. To come up with a program/ campaign to call for electrification of all shack settlement
For further details and direction please call our admin @ 073 412 8218

On behalf of ABM WC
Mzonke Poni
M WC Chairperson)
073 2562 036/ 083 446 5081





Pastor’s plea to Zille and Zuma

20 04 2011
Apr 20, 2011 | Sabelo Mpana | Sowetan

CAPE Town’s townships “are a living hell”. This is the view of Pastor Xola Skosana, who met Western Cape Premier Helen Zille yesterday.

Skosana earlier wrote to President Jacob Zuma and Zille inviting them to join him this Saturday on a 13km march from Gugulethu to Khayelitsha.

“Considering the immense political influence you both have, if you have any empathy in you, you can change the material condition of 300 families at QQ section, informal settlement in Khayelitsha, who do not have toilets as we speak,” wrote Skosana. Read the rest of this entry »






Civic action group threatens protests over evictions

13 04 2011

Madikizela is conveniently ignoring the fact that while a land occupation is illegal it is a minor civil offense (trespass) while his own actions, when he authorizes evictions without a court order, are a criminal offense.

Malungelo Booi – EWN

Civic action group Abahlali baseMjondolo on Thursday warned of rolling protests if government does not stop evictions and demolitions in the Western Cape.

The group says it wrote to Human Settlement MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela on Wednesday.

The organisation wants him to sign an undertaking within seven days that no structures will be destroyed, even if erected illegally on government land. Read the rest of this entry »





Protest Day 1: A call for Madikizela, MEC for Human Settlement to resign

12 04 2011

PROTEST DAY ONE

Last week Abahlali baseMjondolo Western Cape made a call to MEC for human settlement M.R Bonginkosi Madikizela to sign an undertaking that he will never, ever again within the Western Cape Province demolish or evict people without any order from the court.

This follows number of illegal activities and intimidation carried by his office lead by him. ABM WC gave him seven working days to respond, and as an organization we were only expecting him to sign an undertaking that says he will not demolish people’s structures without following legal rout and a failure to sign such undertaking it simply shows that he is arrogant and thinks that he is above the law. Read the rest of this entry »





Media: Government blamed as fire razes 80 shacks

9 12 2010

Side note: this was an Abahlali baseMjondolo statement, not an AEC statement.

December 08, 2010 Edition 2
Zara Nicholson – Cape Times

A DEVASTATING fire has razed about 80 shacks in QQ-Section in Site B, Khayelitsha.

Residents and community leaders said last night its cause was unknown.

Fire and Rescue spokesman Theo Layne said they were called out to the scene just before 7pm yesterday. Read the rest of this entry »








Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 719 other followers