A video by American students of the Symphony Way Pavement Dwellers

16 11 2009

a 6 minute short film, made to raise awareness of the eviction situation in Cape Town, South Africa.

 





Evictions in Blikkiesdorp TRAs in Delft Happening Now

6 11 2009

50 people have been evicted from Blikkiesdorp “O” Block today, November 6, 2009, and are now living and sleeping on the pavement at the entrance to Blikkiesdorp in Delft. “My child is one year and six months old – I am not going to sleep outside again” said community resident, Iris Davids, who was part of the eviction. Another resident, Sadica Abrahams stated “The people are cruel to make us sleep outside like this.”

The community was originally living in Beacon Valley in a tunnel under the R300 bridge. Three weeks ago, they were moved by the City and Law Enforcement from the Beacon Valley tunnel and relocated to Blikkiesdorp Temporary Relocation Area, but were never given papers regarding their move. When the city put them in Blikkiesdorp TRAs there were 8 families moved into 1 shack, although there are a number of empty shacks in Blikkiesdorp. “We were under these bridges and they put us in temporary accommodation – now temporary is throwing us out” says affected resident Iris Davids.

Today the Land Invasions Unit, a unit of Law Enforcement, decided to evict them from Blikkiesdorp illegally. The evictions from Blikkiesdorp did not happen under a court order and are therefore illegal.

Many people are sick and were never warned about the eviction. The Williams family (contact Clement Williams 0764076692) – one family affected by the eviction – was initially illegally evicted from the N2 Gateway house they were renting. The family then went to live in Beacon Valley underneath the bridge. They moved to Blikkiesdorp by the city and now are being evicted again. They say they have lodged three cases of fraud and illegal eviction with the provincial housing department with regards to the N2 Gateway house of which they were evicted. Each time they had gone to check on the case, it had been closed without an investigation happening. The N2 Gateway House where they were evicted from is still standing empty because the owner they were renting from has a second home.

The community of Blikkiesdorp is mobilizing to support the evicted residents. The community will try to put them back into the Blikkiesdorp TRAs.

For more information please contact Jerome 0730850940, Auntie Jane 0784031302, Auntie Badru 0728228109 and/or Stephen Malo 0730621309.





The renewed eviction of 200 residents begins in Mandela Park

26 10 2009
Anti-Eviction Press Release on behalf of Mandala Park
26 October 2009

Evictions are renewed in Mandela Park

The residents of Mandela Park in Khayelitsha are reliving their worst nightmares once again – residents are being evicted from their homes just like five years ago.

More than 200 homes have been served with eviction orders, with approximately 10 evictions having taken place in the past two weeks alone. However with the help of the community those families are not on the streets as they have been returned to their homes forcefully by the residents. Read the rest of this entry »





Funeral of Gugulethu’s oldest victim of evictions, Nothemba Boyseen, 93

21 10 2009
Gugulethu AEC Press Release
22 October 2009

At 94 years, one of the oldest known victims of illegal evictions in post-Apartheid South Africa will be laid to rest today in Gugulethu Cemetery.

Eunice Nothemba Boyseen was one of the 150 people illegally evicted last year in Gugulethu alone. She was forcibly taken from her council home by police who came without a court order. Despite being a vulnerable 93 year old lady, the eviction was not even conducted in a dignified way and she was injured during the process.

At the time, she said this of the City of Cape Town: “They have no respect for women that stays in council houses”.

The Makhulu was supported by Gugulethu Anti-Eviction Campaign activists who, after the illegal eviction, helped put her back in her home. She was one of the 146 successful cases of 2008 where evicted Gugulethu residents were assisted to be put back in their homes.

Eunice Nothemba Boyseen passed away last week but her memory will stick with us for years to come. Makhulu will forever remind us of why we continue to fight against all evictions that seek to destroy the lives of South Africa’s poor.

For more information, contact Mncedisi Twalo at 0785808646





DemocracyNow! Video and radio interviews

1 10 2009

South Africa’s Poor Targeted by Evictions, Attacks in Advance of 2010 World Cup

Thousands of South Africans are being displaced in preparation for the 2010 World Cup. While Durban completes the finishing touches on its new stadium, thousands of the city’s poor who live in sprawling informal settlements are threatened with eviction. On Saturday, an armed gang of some forty men attacked an informal settlement on Durban’s Kennedy Road, killing at least two people and destroying thirty shacks. We speak to two South African activists who are fighting back.

Read the rest of this entry »





Sexwale slams families protesting against government oppression and corruptipon

6 07 2009

AEC Note: Tokyo Sekwale, owner of a R56 million house, and a man who cited matchbox houses as one of his reasons for taking up arms against apartheid, declares protest against ‘housing’ far worse than apartheid’s matchbox houses to be ‘anarchy’ that will be met with ‘zero tolerance’….Also, see the Media Briefing below where Sexwale compares protesting families to armies of people holding bazookas….Also, now that Thubelisha and Trafalgar are gone, Joe Slovo Phase 1 will now be managed by the corrupt and problematic Cape Town Community Housing Company.

Sexwale warns unruly protesters

July 01 2009 at 10:45AM
By Gaye Davis

Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale has warned that the government will take tough action against people who want to render any part of the country ungovernable. Read the rest of this entry »





World Cup 2010: football brings defining moment for South Africa

12 06 2009
David Smith Friday 12 June 2009 21.23 BST
Source: Guardian

The eyes of nearly a billion TV viewers are fixed on the vast Soccer City stadium. The winning team captain ­receives the trophy from a frail but radiant Nelson Mandela. The date is 11 July 2010 and, irrespective of what happened on the pitch, the true winners of the World Cup are the hosts.

This is the dream that South Africa hopes to realise a year from now. In staging the World Cup finals it will take on the biggest sporting showpiece on the planet. It has not enjoyed such a moment in the sun since the transition from apartheid to multiracial democracy in 1994. Read the rest of this entry »





Media: Court puts an end to life in Joe Slovo

11 06 2009

Click here to read the judgement in .doc and here to read it in .pdf.

11 June 2009 – The Sowetan
Anna Majavu – majavua@sowetan.co.za

Residents to get new area

One of Cape Town’s largest informal settlements – Joe Slovo, Langa – is set to be entirely demolished after the Constitutional Court ruled yesterday that its 20000 residents be moved out. Read the rest of this entry »





Media: Gympie residents out on the street

23 05 2009
May 22, 2009 Edition 1
ESTHER LEWIS
Source: Cape Argus

GYMPIE Street residents spent their third night sleeping in the street last night after a five-year eviction battle between them and their landlord.

Eleven people who were ordered – in a Cape High Court ruling – to vacate two dilapidated Woodstock houses with broken windows and no water or electricity, ended up in the street on Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile the owner of the properties has offered to pay R10 000 a household to help them move.

Josephine Jones begged the owner, Dennis Robertson, to change his mind.

“I was born in this street, so were my mother and my children,” said Jones. Read the rest of this entry »





ABM-WC Urgent Press Release: Macassar residents occupying empty land as we speak

18 05 2009
Abahlali baseMjondolo Emergency Press Release
Monday 18th May, 2009

As we speak, members of Abhlali baseMjondolo of the Western Cape from Macassar Village are occupying the land that they’ve been clearing for the past week.

Abahlali are taking the land because, as backyard dwellers, they’ve been clear victims of high rents which are resulting in their collective eviction. Residents say that they have no choice. In order to protect the livelihood of themselves and their families, they have to take this unused and empty government land for their community.

For an update on the current situation, contact Mzonke Poni at 073 2562 036.

For updates and photos tomorrow, visit Khayelitsha Struggles.

For more information on the cleanup campaign, click on the following press releases: 12th May and 13th May and 14th May.

For pictures of the cleanup campaign, click here.

For coverage in the Cape Argus, click here.








Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 719 other followers