Press: Kicked Out for the Cup?

10 06 2010

Watch Christopher Werth’s multimedia report from South Africa: “Out of Bounds? Cape Town’s Cleanup for the World Cup.”

Kicked Out for the Cup?

South Africa is accused of clearing Cape Town slums to clean up for the big event

Newsweek Magazine, 4 June 2010

by Christhoper Werth

Victor Gumbi sits pensively beside a smoldering fire in a newly cleared lot, literally in the shadow of the recently renovated Ellis Park Stadium, one of the many venues where South Africa will host the World Cup football tournament, which kicks off this week. South Africa billed the world’s most popular sporting event as a boon to development that would help lift millions out of poverty, but Gumbi, a 35-year-old day laborer, says things are only getting worse. Not long after South Africa was awarded the tournament, an entire city block in the neighborhood where he lives was slated for destruction as part of a larger urban-regeneration scheme around the stadium, as Johannesburg began preparing for the throngs of tourists expected to come pouring in over the next few weeks. Late last year, the run-down building where Gumbi was squatting was torn down, leaving him in a small, jerry-built shack in the middle of a block of half-demolished houses that local residents have nicknamed “Baghdad.” Now many residents who’d been living in the area’s abandoned buildings for well more than a decade feel they’re being forced out because of the World Cup. “They want to hide us. They don’t want the Europeans seeing the people living here, so they demolished these dirty houses,” says Gumbi, who’s convinced he’ll be removed once and for all before the games actually begin.

Read the rest of this entry »





Media: ‘Delivery protests are our right’

23 10 2009

By Ella Smook
Metro Writer – IOL

Groups representing impoverished Cape Town communities have lashed out at President Jacob Zuma’s warning that the government will not tolerate violent service delivery protests, and the accompanying destruction of property.

Representatives of the Joe Slovo task team, the Landless People’s Movement and Abahlali baseMjondolo defended these protests, saying they were the only way to get the government to pay attention. Read the rest of this entry »





Sexwale slams families protesting against government oppression and corruptipon

6 07 2009

AEC Note: Tokyo Sekwale, owner of a R56 million house, and a man who cited matchbox houses as one of his reasons for taking up arms against apartheid, declares protest against ‘housing’ far worse than apartheid’s matchbox houses to be ‘anarchy’ that will be met with ‘zero tolerance’….Also, see the Media Briefing below where Sexwale compares protesting families to armies of people holding bazookas….Also, now that Thubelisha and Trafalgar are gone, Joe Slovo Phase 1 will now be managed by the corrupt and problematic Cape Town Community Housing Company.

Sexwale warns unruly protesters

July 01 2009 at 10:45AM
By Gaye Davis

Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale has warned that the government will take tough action against people who want to render any part of the country ungovernable. Read the rest of this entry »





Opinion: Listen to the shack-dwellers

24 06 2009
KERRY CHANCE, MARIE HUCHZERMEYER AND MARK HUNTER: COMMENT – Jun 24 2009 06:00
Source: Mail & Guardian

Tens of thousands of shack-dwellers in South Africa are doomed to be evicted to transit camps.

Last week the Constitutional Court gave the green light for the eviction of 20 000 people from Cape Town’s Joe Slovo settlement to make way for the N2 Gateway Project. Most residents are to be relocated to the Delft temporary relocation area (TRA).

In 2005, 2 400 families from Langa, Cape Town, were relocated to a camp called Tsunami. In Johannesburg, 6 400 families in Protea South, Soweto, fought a plan to move them to a decant camp in 2007. In Durban, 52 families in Siyanda, KwaMashu, were evicted in December last year and moved to a transit camp to make way for a new freeway. Read the rest of this entry »





Argus: Joe Slovo residents defy move to Delft

21 06 2009
June 21 2009 at 01:32PM
By Nwabisa Msutwana-Stemela

Tension is mounting in Langa near Cape Town as informal settlers from Joe Slovo slowly fill up every available piece of open land in the more established areas.

Joe Slovo residents, many of whom were moved to make way for the Gateway project and who do not want to move to residential units in Delft, have settled in other parts of Langa in their hundreds and erected shacks.

More move in almost every day and some Langa residents have now called for the authorities and community leaders to intervene. Read the rest of this entry »





Concourt rules in favour of N2 Gateway informal dwellers

10 06 2009
Source: SABC News June 10 2009 , 11:30:00

The Constitutional Court has ordered the developers of the N2 Gateway project outside Cape Town to allocate 70% of the development at the Joe Slovo informal settlement to current residents. It’s also ordered that they be provided with temporary accommodation that must be electrified and serviced.

The residents had appealed to the Constitutional Court to overturn an eviction order granted by the Cape High Court. Thubelisha Homes, the national government’s housing agency, had wanted to move them 15 kilometres to Delft, to make room for formal housing. Joe Slovo is one of Cape Town’s biggest informal settlements, containing about 4 500 crowded shacks and nearly 20 000 residents. Read the rest of this entry »





Concourt Judgement on Joe Slovo to be handed down Wed 10 June

9 06 2009

AEC Press Alert on behalf of Joe Slovo Liberative Residents

The Constitutional Court judgement on Joe Slovo forced removal is to be handed down 10am Wednesday 10 June after almost a year of deliberation.  The entire community of 20,000 residents will be awaiting judgement in nervous anticipation.  There will be a gathering of residents and various activities inside Joe Slovo.  The AEC will be there in solidarity.

For more information, contact Mzwanele Zulu at 076 385 2369.  For comment, call Mr. Zulu after 10am See also the following media summary:

Read the rest of this entry »





Symphony Way march to High Court tomorrow joined by Joe Slovo, Macassar, Gugulethu and Valhalla Park

8 06 2009
Delft Anti-Eviction Campaign Press Release
Monday 8 June, 2009 – For immediate release
(see below for other AEC events on Wed and Thurs)

The residents of Delft-Symphony Way are to appear in the Cape High Court on tomorrow, Tuesday 9th June at 09h00.

We will assemble at Kaisergracht Street (old District 6) at 08h00 and we will march from there to the High Court at about 08h30.  Read the rest of this entry »





A case study – N2 Gateway Housing Project

7 06 2009
5th June 2009
Source: SAIRR

The N2 Gateway Housing Project is an initiative which was started in March 2005 by the three tiers of government – the national Department of Housing, the Western Cape Provincial Government, and the City of Cape Town. All three tiers were, at the time, led by the African National Congress government. Read the rest of this entry »





Millennium Development Goals: SAHRC comments on N2 Gateway

11 01 2009

Millennium Development Goals & the Realisation of Economic and Social Rights in South Africa: A Review

The South African Human Rights Commission comments on the failure of the N2 Housing project to take into account the rights of residents and help achieve the Millennium Development Goals.

See the following link:

Millennium Development Goals: SAHRC comments on N2 Gateway








Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 719 other followers